Guy Fieri knows how to throw a Super Bowl party.
In fact, the food icon is hosting a massive culinary tailgate event in Glendale, Arizona ahead of Sunday’s big game. It’s a party “that anyone can come to,” he told the Arizona Republic with the USA TODAY Network.
And at his game day party, he’s planning to serve his infamous trash can nachos — which you can make at home, too.
What are trash can nachos exactly? Well, if you aren’t drooling yet, you will be soon. Picture stacks and stacks of tortilla chips blanketed in super melty cheese and beans, topped with pico de gallo, pickled onions — the list goes on. It’s the perfect combination for Super Bowl Sunday.
Wow:Guy Fieri says this tequila turkey fettuccini is one of his ‘all time favorites’
Killer mac and cheese with bacon:Anne Burrell’s flavorful recipe for Super Bowl Sunday
Guy Fieri’s trash can nachos
Time: 60 minutes
Makes: 6-8 servings
Ingredients for the nachos:
- 1 pound thick corn tortilla chips
- 3 cups SMC (super melty cheese) – see recipe below
- 2 cups borracho beans – see recipe below
- ¾ pound smoked brisket, or pork or chicken (diced)
- ½ cup Guy’s Bourbon Brown Sugar BBQ Sauce (or BBQ sauce of your choice)
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- ¾ cup sour cream
- 2 cups pico de gallo
- 2 jalapeños, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons pickled red onions – see recipe below
- 1 tablespoons crumbled Cotija cheese
- 5 pieces cilantro leaves, garnish
Ingredients for the SMC (super melty cheese):
- 2 cups half & half
- ½ pound Velveeta cheese, cubed
- ½ pound smoked gouda, shredded
- ½ pound white cheddar, shredded
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- ½ teaspoon Tabasco sauce
Ingredients for borracho beans:
- 2 (15oz cans) black beans, drained, rinsed
- ⅓ cup chicken broth
- ¼ tsp ground cumin
- ¼ tsp chipotle chili powder
- ½ tsp granulated garlic
Ingredients for pickled red onions
- 1 large red onion, finely sliced
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup red wine vinegar
- ¼ cup grenadine
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
Ingredients for pico de gallo:
- 2 cups Roma tomatoes, finely diced
- ½ cup white onion, finely diced
- 2 jalapeños, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
Prep-Ahead Tip: The protein, black bean puree, pico de gallo, and pickled red onions can all be prepped in advance.
Instructions to make the SMC:
- Place a small sauce pot on medium heat and add the half & half.
- Bring to a simmer then reduce the heat to low and whisk in the Velveeta cheese until it fully melts.
- Add the white cheddar, smoked gouda, Tabasco and Worcestershire sauce, and continue to whisk on low heat till all the cheese is fully melted.
- Set aside and keep warm.
Instructions to make the borracho beans:
- Use a hand immersion blender or food processer, and add half of the rinsed black beans, chicken stock and spices, then blend into a puree.
- Fold in the last half of the black beans for texture.
- Set in a pot and warm.
Instructions to make the pickled red onions:
- In a small sauce pot, add all the ingredients except onions and bring to a simmer.
- Once simmering, pour the pickling liquid over the julienned red onions, making sure they are submerged, and allow them to pickle overnight in the fridge.
Instructions to make the pico de gallo:
- Add all the ingredients into a mixing bowl and fold together.
Instructions to assemble the trash can nachos:
- Preheat the oven to 400° degrees and on a non-stick baking pan spread out an even layer of chips.
- Drizzle warm SMC over the chips evenly, followed by a layer of borracho beans, shredded cheddar and finally diced brisket (or your choice of protein).
- Add pickled red onion and pico de gallo.
- Drizzle with Guy’s Bourbon Brown Sugar BBQ sauce.
- Place the nachos in to the preheated oven and bake for 5-7 minutes until hot and melty.
Recipe courtesy of Guy Fieri.
Contributing: Endia Fontanez, Arizona Republic